Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 251dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

officejet pro 251dw goes offline after one print job

If I do a power cycle, I can print one job then the printer goes offline.

The printer is USB connected.

I have disconnected the power and the USB and reconnected them.

I have restarted to no avail. The printer is set as default printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

My problem is now apparently solved.
I got some help from The "Geek Squad'. The agent showed me how to limit the address that could be dynamically assigned using the router pool.
In advanced mode IP address distribution on Network (Home/Office), we set IP address distribution at 182.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.174.
This made the address 192.168.1.200 available to the printer. We changed the printer address in IPv4 configuration in the
Office jet pro 251dw printer web site(192.168.1.200) to that address and set it to static - in the router.
He did assign port 9100, I am not clear as to why this was needed.
The printer has been working since July 25 without becoming disconnected.

Frank C

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I reset the router and did shutdown then start up.

The printer is OK now.

HP Recommended

Not a permanent fix.

It happened again on 7/16/2016 that is 3 days later.

I reset the router again and got the printer back.

Does this meam that I need to replace the router?

Frank C

HP Recommended

Hi

My problem is now apparently solved.
I got some help from The "Geek Squad'. The agent showed me how to limit the address that could be dynamically assigned using the router pool.
In advanced mode IP address distribution on Network (Home/Office), we set IP address distribution at 182.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.174.
This made the address 192.168.1.200 available to the printer. We changed the printer address in IPv4 configuration in the
Office jet pro 251dw printer web site(192.168.1.200) to that address and set it to static - in the router.
He did assign port 9100, I am not clear as to why this was needed.
The printer has been working since July 25 without becoming disconnected.

Frank C

HP Recommended
Uh... just to let you know, USB connected printers have no IP address. Have no idea what the Geek Squad did but they apparently know nothing about computers, printers and least of all networking.
HP Recommended

Sabertooth04,

The printer is also shared on a local network with two other computers.

I should have stated that in the beginning

Frank C

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.