Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP required me to update my HP Smart so I did - had been using it significantly over the past year to scan photos from my HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 onto my MIcrosoft Surface, and I used to be able to edit the photos (i.e. crop, color balance, etc) and save the changes easily.  Now, when I crop and hit "done" the changes aren't saved and it reloads to the original photo without any of the changes I made. 

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

This seems like a last resort. If more than one of us has this, isn;t this a bug?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue using a HP ENVY Photo 6255.

HP Recommended

Different user, same problem.

This isn't necessarily a printer problem....it is a "can't save edits to scanned images in HP Smart" problem, most likely an HP Smart software bug introduced about a month ago.

Here's some information HP might need to facilitate their efforts at trouble-shooting and provide us with a fix.
(The information is for my specific installation. Other users reporting this same issue will have different information about their installations.)

My notebook:
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-dr1xxx

Product number   7UU06UA#ABA

My printer:
HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer

Product number   E4W43A

At this time, the issue is suspected to be a software error within the following program:

HP Smart

version: 121.1.193.0

Background and specifics about the issue:

I have used HP Smart’s Scan function for at least a year.

I frequently use the ‘edit’ function in the Scan option.
Up until about a month ago, edits done within HP Smart software were reliably saved. 

Beginning about a month ago, after editing (e.g. cropping or adding text) to the original scan, clicking ‘Done’ did NOT save my edits, rather it reverted back to the original unedited scan, i.e. cropping and/or adding text was lost.

I repeated the tests multiple times over multiple weeks, including re-loads and laptop restarts.

Weeks ago, the fault was almost 100% reproducible, however, once or twice I did get the proper results when clicking ‘Done’.

This HP product is unusable for me at this point b/c of the lost productivity resulting from being unable to save my edits.

HP Recommended

The problem resolved but has now returned.  I have uninstalled software and reinstalled - same problem of edits to photo not saving.

HP Recommended

It's not a bug - it's a feature!

In my situation, I was able to edit and save the first scanned image but not subsequent images.  Restarting the app did not work so now I'll restart my computer and then look for another scanning program that MIGHT be reliable.  Very, very convenient...

Note to HP management:  We only have ONE chance to make a first impression.  When you fail blow that opportunity it's very hard to restore integrity.

HP Recommended

I tried uninstalling the app and re-installing.  This didn't work.  I then noticed a little feature called "Auto-Enhancements" which I turned off and my images were no longer scanning upside down and I was able to save my cropped edits.  Looks like the app is not quite as smart as it thinks it is 😊

HP Recommended

This is the solution, indeed. Auto-enhancement button on top of a scan window -> option "Orientation" should be switched off. Then the edit is saved 

HP Recommended

Turning off the Auto-enhancement button did work with a caveat: I had to make the edits that I needed, cropping, rotation, etc., all before clicking "done". If I tried to do a second round of edits before saving, they would not save, or by trying to click on the edit button a second time, the software closed by itself.

HP Recommended

I've just discovered the same problem - it wasn't there before.  I have an HP Envy 5020.  It won't let me save edited scans as add-on pages to an on-going document.  It lets me do the editing alright, but when I click on the 'Done' button, it just saves the original scan, ie the pre-edited version.  The problem seems to be in the save, ie the 'Done' button, function.  As already reported, trying to do it a second time just corrupts the scan.  Trying to do it in 2 stages has the same result.  Sometimes the first edit works, and saves correctly, but try and replicate it and it goes back to malfunctioning.  I've turned the auto-enhancements off.  I've switched my computer, router, and printer off and on again.  I've confirmed that I've got the latest updates.  I've downloaded and run the Print and Scan Doctor - it detects no problems.  How much time does HP think I have?  I'm tempted to just take photos of the document on my phone and save it as a series of JPEGs in a folder.  This isn't quite what I had in mind from my year-old state-of-the-art All-in-One!  Isn't it about time we heard from HP?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.