Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
laserjet 1536dnf mfp

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Wndows 7 I've run into a problem with the Scaner on the HP LJ 1536dnf MFP.

Before letting MS update my Laptop I removed the Printer from Windows 7.  The PC updated to Windows 10 and then I reinstalled the Prnter Software.  I did this because I previously had an issue on another PC that I updated to Windows 10 did not get the printer working right. 

When I install the Full Featured Printer software downloaded from the HP website,  the Printer works, but the SCan Feature does not work - when I click on the Icon for the scan and I get a message that says "HP JL M1530 MFP Series Scan was not found"

I'm not trying to use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to see if that helps.

If anyone has any further suggestions, Please post.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally figured out what I did wrong.  

When I first installed the HP software on the Laptop it asks how you have the printer connected (1) USB (2) Network (3) Wireless.    Because I had a Laptop with a Wireless connection, I selected the wireless option.  

However, that was not the setup I have for this HP Printer.  I have this HP Printer connected to my Wireless Router using an Ethernet Cable.  So even though the Laptop was wireless, the HP Printer is actually a Network connected device. 

So, I unnstalled the HP software and re-installed it and then selected option 2 - the Network connected HP printer and the software installed and the Printer and Scanner now work perfectly on the Laptop.

I think what was confusing me was that option 3 -  the wireless option  - actually worked and the setup went through even though I really shouldn't have picked that option.

Anyway, it is all working now.  If I ONLY would have picked the right option when I selected the install, I wouldn't have had a single problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that you cannot scan with your HP Laserjet 1536dnf mfp printer, on Windows 10. And, I am happy to help! 

To verify that the printer's hardware is functional, are you able to make copies with the printer's scanner glass? 

In the meantime, what happens if you try scanning without using HP software? Scan Without HP Software (Windows 10).

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂
RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I know the scanner is workng properly, because I have 3 other PC's that I upgraded to Windows 10 that do not have this problem and the scanner works fine.

The only thing I did differently on this last PC that I upgraded was that before I upgraded to Windows 10 I when ahead and deleted the Printer in Windows7 first.  My plan was to let the PC upgrade to Windows 10 and then I would re-install the HP Printer software in Windows 10 thinking this would eliminate any issues with the Printer Drivers.  We'll, everything worked except the scanner.. it just does not launch at all.  The printer works perfectly though.

I have deleted and reinstalled the printer software in Windows 10 several times.  That didn't help.  I have downloaded the most recent HP Full Package from the HP website.  It installs without a problem... when I click on the Scanner Icon, it just doesn't launch.

I tried disabling the Window Firewall and the AV protection during the installation - still can't get the scanner to launch. I tried running the scanner as an Administrator (the account on the PC is an administrator anyway).  That didn't work.

So, it's a mystery why this install doesn't work and my other PC's work fine.  The only difference between the PC's that have the scanner softare working is that I just let the Windows 10 upgrade without trying to remove the printer in Windows 7. I guess I should have not tried to "outsmart" the Windows 10 update!

So, any further suggestions to test, please let me know... Thanks

PS, I will try the "Scan without using HP Software" and will report what happens...

HP Recommended

I tried to use the Windows 10 App's for scanning and Windows reported that it could not detect a scanner, so it didn't work.   

So I guess the next question would be how to get Windows 10 to detect the Scanner.  Can the Scanner be Manually added?

I am connecting to the HP Printer/scanner via a Wireless Connection.  I wonder if I connected to the Printer directly with a Printer Cable if that would help any?

Any suggestions to fix this problem are appreciated.

HP Recommended

I used a Printer Cable and connected it to a USB Port on my Laptop and to the HP Printer.  Then when I clicked on the HP Scanner it worked fine.    So I do have a work-around if I even need to scan something.  Not the solution I was looking for, but it makes the scanner work. 

I actually have this Printer connected via an Ethernet Cable to my wireless Router. My Laptop connects via the network. So I'm beginning to wonder if there is a port being blocked by my Wireless router.   

HP Recommended

I finally figured out what I did wrong.  

When I first installed the HP software on the Laptop it asks how you have the printer connected (1) USB (2) Network (3) Wireless.    Because I had a Laptop with a Wireless connection, I selected the wireless option.  

However, that was not the setup I have for this HP Printer.  I have this HP Printer connected to my Wireless Router using an Ethernet Cable.  So even though the Laptop was wireless, the HP Printer is actually a Network connected device. 

So, I unnstalled the HP software and re-installed it and then selected option 2 - the Network connected HP printer and the software installed and the Printer and Scanner now work perfectly on the Laptop.

I think what was confusing me was that option 3 -  the wireless option  - actually worked and the setup went through even though I really shouldn't have picked that option.

Anyway, it is all working now.  If I ONLY would have picked the right option when I selected the install, I wouldn't have had a single problem.

HP Recommended

The HP scan and capture worked perfectly. Thanks

HP Recommended

For me it's not working. I have the exact same setup. It worked before, but after changing ISP, meaning changing modem/router, it doesn't work anymore. Printing works. I can also access the printers admin-pages from my laptop. Just not scan. Neither does the Win built-in scanning app work. It says the printer is ofline.

Any ideas appreciated.

HP Recommended

Additional info:

HP Scan and Capture tool, while under settings, connect to device - Even when I specify the IP-address, it states it cannot find the device, although I can print to it and access the admin-pages...

(Oh, and it's a 1522nf - just noted the subject....)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.