Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows Vista

When attempting to scan to email the HP ENVY 7640 displays "! Server Connection Error"  , "There was a problem connecting to the server.  Touch Retry to connect again, or OK to exit.".   The scan to email function worked fine yesterday and today it no longer works.  Also the "Retry" button brings up the same error display.

How do I fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@muskey, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Select Web Services on the front panel., then Settings.
2. Select 'remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello, @muskey – Greetings!

Thanks for your continued participation on the HP Forums. I’d like to be of your assistance 🙂

I understand that you are having issues with the scan to email feature. We can try and fix this issue by assigning a public DNS address. It’s very simple as explained below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now restart the printer and then try to perform a scan to email. You can also check http://hp.care/2j2YH26 and follow the steps under “Scan directly to email (wireless Internet connections only)” for setting up the scan to email again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

DVortex,  I tried the steps you outlined yesterday  and today with no success.  Do you have any other suggestions that I can try?  Is it possible the HP email server is not running ?

HP Recommended

Hello @muskey

Thanks for the update & appreciate your efforts!

Try updating the printer firmware and then try the steps mentioned in my above post. You can download and install the printer firmware from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once done, restart the printer and check.

Also, try creating a new scan to email profile and then try to check. You can follow the steps below:

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.

2. Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

3. From the EWS, click the Scan tab.

4. Click Scan to Email Setup.

5. Click Outgoing Email Profile, click New, and then enter the email address you intend to use with this profile.

6. Enter a display name that will appear on the printer's control panel to identify this email profile.

7. Enter or confirm the correct SMTP server and SMTP port information.

8. If you typically have to enter a user name and password to log into your email account, you will want to enter this information into the email authentication fields, and then click Next.

9. Enter a security PIN to restrict access to this email profile, if desired.

10. Set the size for email files and specify Auto CC, if desired.

11. Click Save or Save and test to complete the profile

Hope that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Good morning Dvortex,  I tried all of the steps you outlined on the last post and here are the results.

1) The ENVY 7640 firmware is not updateable as it is already "up to date".

2) In the EWS "SCAN" tab there is no SCAN TO EMAIL setup.  In fact there is no SCAN TO EMAIL setup anywhere in the EWS for this ENVY 7640.

Also I see no options available on the printer display that would permit changes you outlined started at step 6.

Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@muskey, Thanks for for the response.

Please try the steps recommended below.

-Get your printer's IP Address (Can find this under Network Config under Settings)
-Type the IP into your web browser
-On the left-hand side click on iPV4 under WIRED or WIRELESS (however you are connected)
-Click Manual DNS
-Under preferred type 8.8.8.8
-Under alternate type 8.8.4.4
-Unplug Modem from the wall. Wait 30 seconds. Plug back in.
-Turn off your printer by pushing the power button. Wait 30 seconds. Power on.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning Mr Robot.   I completed the steps you provided in this mornings post and we still have the same problem.  The display reads "Server Connection Error".  Is it possible that the HP print server is not accepting connections from my printer?

Can this be manually tested from my web browser?

HP Recommended

@muskey, thanks for the response.

Please try the steps recommended below.

- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.  <<< The DNS could be your problem.  If this does not work, try Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

I'll watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr Robot we manually changed the printers IP address from 192.168.1.87 to 192.168.1.196 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0.     Powered off the router for 30 seconds and restarted the printer as you outlined in the previous post. 

The printer still displays "Server Connection Error" when we attempt to scan to email.

HP Recommended

@muskey, thanks for the reply.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Select Web Services on the front panel., then Settings.
2. Select 'remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.