Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP P1606dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a static IP on my internal network. Printer is connected via ethernet. Firmware is updated to the latest (datacode 20150114).

I go to the printer's website (e.g. static IP). I click on HP Web Services tab. I click the Enable button. It tries (says "connecting...") and fails with "Connection error. Check Internet connection.

I have tried:

1. Power cycling the printer

2. Power cycling from the wall back (all devices, then connecting modem, then connecting router, then powering on printer).

3. Manually chaing the DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

4. Cursing a few times.

Nothing works.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Um... does anyone from HP have any suggestions? Or am I SOL?

HP Recommended

And yes, it does print locally perfectly. From Win10 as well as AirPrint.

Still no ideas from the company who built, sold, and supports this product?

HP Recommended

@sporto305

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Let's restore the printer back to defaults

Restore Defaults:Press and hold the GO & JOB CANCEL button while powering on printer. After all the LEDs are blinking, release buttons.

Setup the printer again

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad Thanks for the reply. I have done as requested to Restore Defaults (Pressing and holding the GO & JOB CANCEL button while powering on printer. After all the LEDs are blinking, release buttons.)

I'm not sure what has to happen to setup the printer again. I have the DNS service providing a static IP to it, so I didn't need to do anything to the printer. It is plugged in via Ethernet cable. I did go to the Printer's web page at the static IP, tried to enable web services, and received the same error.

I await further suggestions on how to resolve the issue. Aside from this issue, the printer functions precisely as expected.

HP Recommended

Please ensure the printer has the latest Firmware and try enabling the Web Services again

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

As noted in my initial problem definition: "Firmware is updated to the latest (datacode 20150114)."

HP Recommended

At this point I would request you to contact HP Support for Service Options since restoring the Printer and updating the Firmware didn't work

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

Well that is interesting. I tried to follow your instructions. But since it is out of warranty, there are no methods to contact anyone. This is concerning. Does HP only provide ePrint services while under warranty? There are no phone numbers or other methods to get support, as you suggest: no phone, chat, email.  See attached screenshot for the mismatch (asking to sign in yet being signed in). Based on no ability to get support... i guess it is time to look for a new brand of printer.hp screenshot.png

HP Recommended

Added image (with no identifiable info)

hp screenshot.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.