Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pentium laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Typing on phone for obvious reasons (read title head-liner)

Okay so first time signing up to and using this site. I've come here because I've grown a bit tired with the constant incomplete update screen. What to say to start this problem off? Bought this laptop not even like 5 months ago, never had these particular problems with previous laptops brands, but what happens on this laptop is sometimes it'll just randomly turn off or if I restart the system manually it'll automatically transition to this screen saying: 'preparing to configure Windows. Don't turn off your computer'. And stays on that screen for eternity. The initial time this happened it was stuck there for over 4 hours and I knew that wasn't normal so ever since from then on whenever I've encountered this screen at random, I've just hard shut-down my computer to save myself hours of getting-nowhere-configuring/updating.

To answer some questions: I believe I'm on Windows 10. Don't know if 32-bit or 64-bit - never bothered to find out which one exactly and because I don't know the difference truthfully. The laptops name is 'HP pentium" I don't think this is specific but feel free to ask any specific questions that you wish to know.

So is this a HP-specific issue, a Windows 10 issue or just MY laptops issue?

I had some side-questions also but for now will postpone them to keep this topic simple. Can anyone help with this problem? Thanks

You can trust me earthling -- I'm 100% a ro-not a robot
19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that your laptop screen is stuck at preparing to configure Windows.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Turn off your PC by holding the power button.

Turn on your PC and keep tapping F11 key,  Recovery manager window should open select TroubleShooting and from there select Advanced Options.

From there, select System Restore to before the last updates were applied.

Select an earlier date before updates were initiated. Click next and follow onscreen instructions.

If you still have issues try performing system recovery by going to f11.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the f11 key.

System recovery screen will open.
Click Troubleshoot.
On the Troubleshoot screen, click System Recovery.
Click System Recovery to restore the computer to its original factory shipped condition.

If you still have issues with your laptop perform system diagnostics.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the f2 key.
System diagnostics will open.
Run all the tests and check if any hardware devices fail.
If all the test passes or if system recovery fails. Order recovery media by contacting HP using the link below.

Link to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a great day!                                                                 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

Hey there!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that your laptop screen is stuck at preparing to configure Windows.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Turn off your PC by holding the power button.

Turn on your PC and keep tapping F11 key,  Recovery manager window should open select TroubleShooting and from there select Advanced Options.

From there, select System Restore to before the last updates were applied.

Select an earlier date before updates were initiated. Click next and follow onscreen instructions.

If you still have issues try performing system recovery by going to f11.

Click Troubleshoot.
Click System Recovery to restore the computer to its original factory shipped condition.

If all the test passes or if system recovery fails. Order recovery media by contacting HP using the link below.

Have a great day!                                                                 

Hi, I'm back on my laptop for now. 

Ok so I've done a restore point, however, I won't be able to see if its fixed the issue until the 'issue' pops back up again. Unless there's a way to force-start the update screen and see if it actually completes itself this time? what do you think about that? Anyway I chose the latest R.P which now I think about it was only before the 9th of this month IIRC on the date stamp thus a week-ago-restore point probably won't do much if the problems have been occuring for months, huh? - I saw other options but they were labelled with 'critical update' so I don't know if choosing to go before those ciritcal update's would've interferred  with the system or not.

I suppose while I'm waiting for a reply on the above stuff, a problem which has been occuring maybe a couple times a week is also an issue: at random times whilst already having been using the computer for hours beforehand, the computer will randomly disconnect from the internet and all the tabs despite being 'there' and powered on, are practically dead and unresponsive and this happens to be concurrent with being disconnected from the internet and then the computer won't let me reconnect because "no connections are available". is this something wrong with my system? The HP support assistant program on my computer seemed to pick up on it because it says 'resolve chrome browser connection issues' and prompts a chome extension although I haven't been able to tests its efficiency yet because it only let me enable the extension yesterday.

HP Recommended

Hey there @aNormalGuy! Thanks for the reply

The reason I wanted you to restore was to know whether the previous updates caused the issue.

As you mentioned that now your unit is working fine without those updates. 

Go to control panel update and security and select option install updates manually.

Install important and critical updates only. 

For the second issue please provide me serial and product number of your laptop. Please send the details in a private message.

So I can get you the updated wireless drivers.

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@aNormalGuy thanks for the reply,

I have found there is an updated driver available for your laptop, Please use the link below to update the wireless driver.

Note: Before updating the drivers you have to uninstall old wireless drivers. And make sure you download the wireless drivers before uninstalling the drivers.

Follow the steps below to uninstall the wireless driver.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Go to the network adapters.

Right click the wireless driver and click uninstall.

Restart your laptop and update the wireless driver using the link below.

Wireless driver link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74392.exe

As you mentioned about the performance of your laptop, I have found there is an updated BIOS firmware available for your laptop.

Please update the BIOS using the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76219.exe

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

@aNormalGuy thanks for the reply,

I have found there is an updated driver available for your laptop, Please use the link below to update the wireless driver.

Note: Before updating the drivers you have to uninstall old wireless drivers. And make sure you download the wireless drivers before uninstalling the drivers.

Follow the steps below to uninstall the wireless driver.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Go to the network adapters.

Right click the wireless driver and click uninstall.

Restart your laptop and update the wireless driver using the link below.

Wireless driver link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74001-74500/sp74392.exe

As you mentioned about the performance of your laptop, I have found there is an updated BIOS firmware available for your laptop.

Please update the BIOS using the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76219.exe

Have a great day!

Thanks for all the information! I've done the whole process now for both packages. The performance feels a bit smoother; I wanna let you know this though, both times of restarting my computer (for BIOS update & to update wireless) the congifuration problem happened both times and just stays there frozen with no percentage progress bar. Thanks for the help with all this

By the way, since I like to have the information at hand: I was wondering how do I, for future reference, when wanting to know if my computer is upto-date in all areas i.e performance, system updates and improved updates et cetera - How/where do I go to to check if my system is upto date for everything? thank you 

HP Recommended

"If you still have issues try performing system recovery by going to f11.

Click Troubleshoot.

Please let me know the outcome."

Oh, regarding what I just said " I wanna let you know this though, both times of restarting my computer (for BIOS update & to update wireless) the congifuration problem happened both times and just stays there frozen with no percentage progress bar" I just remembered that the text above you sent, you added more suggestions. I only tried the first suggestion so I still have yet to try the latter options in recovery manager...I'll try the rest soon but I had a question before I tried the other options you mentioned like this, "Click System Recovery to restore the computer to its original factory shipped condition" wouldn't this erase everything on my computer like my pictures, files and programs?

HP Recommended

Hey there @aNormalGuy, Thanks for the reply.

Yes once you restore your computer to factory settings it would erase all the data, however, you have an option to backup data to an external hard drive. So you can backup data from Pictures,music,documents, and my videos folder. Make sure you have data only in the folders mentioned.

Also please run diagnostics from f2.

Turn on your PC keep tapping f2 key and run all the test and check whether the hardware is functioning correctly on the unit.

Let me know how it goes,

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
F2 doesn't work lol. I tried on 3 different start ups. Just loads up regularly
HP Recommended

@aNormalGuy Thanks for the reply,

Please use the link to download the diagnostics: http://hp.care/2bTM5IO

Install the diagnostics application run the system test and other hardware tests.

Let me know how it goes,

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.