Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an Officejet Pro 6830 printer.

Lately, when I scan a document from the automatic document feeder, I get a thin black line from the top to the bottom in the middle of the scanned document (see the attached photo)

I raised the cover and tried to clean the parts the move the document, but that didn't help.

The problem does NOT occur when I put the document on the glass

Any idea?

black line.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Cleaning scan glass strip of vertical lines:

The issue may be caused by a small spec on the ADF scanner glass, (the thin glass to the left of Flatbed scan glass)

This sensor is used for both the flatbed scan and the automatic document feeder (ADF), the difference is where the sensor is moved to for scanning.  When scanning from the flatbed the sensor moves across the bed, a spot in this area will result in a spot on the page.  When using the ADF the sensor is moved to the thin glass to the left of the main bed, and the paper is moved past the sensor by the ADF.  A spot in the wrong place here will result in a line down the length of the long side of the page.  Clean this areas as shown below.

Figure : Locate any debris on the ADF scanner glass strip

1 Locate debris on glass strip.jpg

If the initial cleaning does not resolve the issue it may help to shine a bright flashlight nearly parallel to the glass.  For a line on the left side of the printed page the spot will be toward the front of the printer, if the line is on the right of the paper it will correspond to a spec toward the rear of the printer.

Figure : Clean the ADF scanner glass strip

2 Clean ADF glass strip.jpg 

This resource will be useful:

HP AiO Printers : Resolving Vertical lines or bands on copied or scanned document

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Cleaning scan glass strip of vertical lines:

The issue may be caused by a small spec on the ADF scanner glass, (the thin glass to the left of Flatbed scan glass)

This sensor is used for both the flatbed scan and the automatic document feeder (ADF), the difference is where the sensor is moved to for scanning.  When scanning from the flatbed the sensor moves across the bed, a spot in this area will result in a spot on the page.  When using the ADF the sensor is moved to the thin glass to the left of the main bed, and the paper is moved past the sensor by the ADF.  A spot in the wrong place here will result in a line down the length of the long side of the page.  Clean this areas as shown below.

Figure : Locate any debris on the ADF scanner glass strip

1 Locate debris on glass strip.jpg

If the initial cleaning does not resolve the issue it may help to shine a bright flashlight nearly parallel to the glass.  For a line on the left side of the printed page the spot will be toward the front of the printer, if the line is on the right of the paper it will correspond to a spec toward the rear of the printer.

Figure : Clean the ADF scanner glass strip

2 Clean ADF glass strip.jpg 

This resource will be useful:

HP AiO Printers : Resolving Vertical lines or bands on copied or scanned document

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, I'll try it and let you know.

HP Recommended

Great! In 5 seconds the problem is gone! Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Hi @gadisam,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Cleaning the small glass pane on the left unfortunately didn't work for me.

When I place a small piece of paper on the glass, this is visible on the scan but the black line still shows up.

The glass is perfectly clean. 

So what else could it be?

Gert

HP Recommended

Sorry, I really don't know. It did work for me.

HP Recommended

I tried and tried and cleaned and cleaned that little glass strip. Finally, after more than an hour of trying all the suggested solutions that I could find online, I read one post that said he found the tiniest speck on the glass that lined up with where the line appeared on his copies and scans when using the ADF. That speck hadn't come off with normal cleaning efforts. He said he took his fingernail and scraped off that almost invisible speck, and the line disappeared. I placed the paper with the line onto the flat face of the scanner and sure enough, lined up with the line, there on the glass strip, was the tiniest speck--almost invisible. I put the fingernail to work, scrape scrape, put the paper in the ADF, ran Scan. NO LINE!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.