Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6830 Office Pro
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

Bought 2 HP 6830 Office Pro in March. On June 12, 2015 got message "probelm with prnthead" Called support. They were excellent, determined problem was a hardware issue and ordered a replacement printer. Next day, June 13, 2015 had same problem on the other printer. Support was again outstanding, determined hardware issue and ordered a replacement printer. Same problem on two three-monthl old printers. Are printheads for this printer faulty, engineering issue, or am I just unlucky? Again, HP support was very helpful. Just hoping I don't have this problem on the two replacement printers.

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi @degoodman

Thanks for this feedback. I'd like to follow up on the case notes for this, as it's unusual to see the same error like this. I'll send you a private msg if that's ok.

Thanks

Ciara

For details on contacting HP, please see links below depending on your country....

Americas & Asia

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04839288

Europe, Middle East, Africa

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04839289

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Yes.  There is CLEARLY a problem with the printhead design on this printer.  I'm on my third as well from Costco - and it just did the same thing.  I'll be taking this one back as well.   And honestly, this is my last HP printer.  I've had three different models now with problems.  I'm a life long HP fan - that's just had enough. 

HP barely puts any effort into building a rock solid printer anymore.  It's the cheapest thing they can mass produce to eat Ink.  They're no longer in the hardware business they're in the Ink business.    Something I wouldn't be upset about if the printer actually held up.  But everytime a printer dies and I replace it with the 'new' model....surprise it needs a different ink cartridge.  Which means the stock i have in my home office is no longer usable.

Avoid this printer like the plague.  I guess this is why Costco has a zillion of them on the shelves.

HP Recommended

I agree that there is a problem.  I ordered my printer from Home Shopping Network in Jan 2015.  It worked fine until I replaced the ink cartridges at which time it began displaying the print head error. 

I am not willing to deal with this printer issue which appears to be a desing problem.  I will toss it out and never buy another HP printer. 

HP Recommended

This printer is a disaster.  Same problem with printhead dieing after 2 - 3 months and has happened twice on this same printer model.

HP Recommended

I have yet again another issue with my new printer. Only a few months old I have received the printhead error message. Followed the recommendations for reset w/o success. Still under warranty.  Need a better quality printer!!! One that will last more than a year. Need a recommendation for a "quality printer"

HP Recommended

HP is in the ink business, not the hardware business, and has been for some time.  I've used HP products for decades - still have a LaserJet 6P that chugs along like the day it was new.  Of course it cost $600 new, uses a parallel port interface, and only does 6 pages a minute, plus it weighs a ton.  Today's HP printers, like most other brands, are semi-worthless once the small ink cartridges they ship with are empty.

I do IT support for small businesses and see this weekly.  The 6830 Pro at one customer died yesterday after less than 6 months.  The owner made the mistake of moving the printer while it was still powered to dust the shelf it was on.  Now it's "problem with printhead" and none of HP's steps works.  Since this is cheap printer, even by HP's low standards, the print head isn't "removable" so it can't be cleaned, although the problem is likely just some ink got in the works.

No wonder this model is now on sale for $99 when the list was closer to $200.

If you must buy a low volume color printer, do a Google for "<printer model> errors", check reviews on an independent place like NewEgg (not the vendor's site - they "clean up"), and buy a printer that costs more than a complete set of refill cartridges will.  It doesn't prevent issues but buying a cheap inkjet is just asking for trouble.

HP Recommended

Thanks. Actually HP customer service handled this issue well. They replaced both 6830 printers with new 8610's. So far they seem to be working well.  That said, I agree with your advice the next time I need to buy a printer. 

HP Recommended

@CDFigg wrote:

I have yet again another issue with my new printer. Only a few months old I have received the printhead error message. Followed the recommendations for reset w/o success. Still under warranty.  Need a better quality printer!!! One that will last more than a year. Need a recommendation for a "quality printer"

Hi @CDFigg

Sorry to hear you've run into this error. Can I ask are you based in the US? If so please contact HP Support at the link below for a replacement printer.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-6830-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5390307/docume...

Can you please let me know how you get on?

Thanks, Ciara

Contact Support.JPG

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I received the same error with my HP Officejet Pro 6830: "There is a problem with the printhead".  I called HP and was astonished to find that the printhead is not replaceable.  So HP is shipping me a new printer, since fortunately my printer still had a couple of weeks left in the warranty.  The Level 2 tech I spoke to claimed it is a problem in the firmware and that the new replacement HP Officejet Pro 6830 printer has the fix to the firmware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.