Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet Ink Advantage Ultra 4729 All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer was working fine and I had just printed a page. Within 5 minutes, the display went away and now I see two lights in amber color. The paper and ink lights. 

The printer is no longer getting detected by HP Smart App. All printer jobs are stuck. Printer is no longer being shown on
Direct wi-fi. Even USB connection to printer is not able to print any page.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. Restarted the printer 10 times

2. Removed power cord and USB Cord and restarted the printer after waiting 2 minutes.

3. Removed Ink Cartridges and restarted Printer after waiting 2 minutes.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-08 at 10.48.46.jpeg

What shall I do?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @keshavx,

I'd like to help with the printer issue!

Step 1: Make sure the ink cartridges are compatible

Before you begin, make sure the ink cartridges are compatible with your printer.

• If the ink cartridges are compatible, continue with the steps in this document.

• If the ink cartridges are not compatible, continue to the step to replace the ink cartridge.

Step 2: Remove, inspect, and then reseat the ink cartridges

The printer might display an error if the ink cartridges are not correctly installed.

NOTE: 

HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges. Use genuine HP ink cartridges for good print quality.

1. If the printer is off, press the Power button to turn on the printer.

2. Open the exterior door.

Figure : Open the exterior door

Image: Open the exterior door
  3. Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.

Figure : Open the ink cartridge access door

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door
  4. Press down on the ink cartridge to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge out to remove it from its slot.

Figure : Remove the ink cartridge

Image: Remove the ink cartridge
       CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

CAUTION: 

Do not try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Figure : Remove the plastic tape

Image: Remove the plastic tape and do not touch the contacts or ink nozzles
  6. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, and then insert the ink cartridge into its slot. Make sure that the ink cartridge is inserted in the correct slot.

• The tri-color ink cartridge () goes in the slot on the left.

• The black ink cartridge () goes in the slot on the right.

Figure : Reinsert the ink cartridge

Image: Snap the ink cartridge into place
  7. Push the ink cartridge forward into its slot until it snaps into place.

8. Repeat these steps to replace the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

9. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the ink cartridge access door

Image: Close the ink cartridge access door
  10. Close the exterior door.

Figure : Close the exterior door

Image: Close the exterior door

If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

single-cartridge mode 

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer.which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue 

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing 
then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks Jay for detailed instructions. Unfortunately, none worked and I have put the printer in repair shop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.