Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Envy 7640 inkjet printer connected wirelessly to my network. 

I have no problems printing and connecting with my macbook air & iphone 6.

My windows 10 laptop however struggles to connect to the printer and when it eventually does upon clicking "print" the programme (eg MS Word) freezes (not responding) and i have to close the programme without printing

I have updated the latesst drivers on the laptop and run the HP Print & Scan doctor and all green ticks including being able to run the test print page from my windows laptop.

Please can someone help me understand why the printing problems occur - so frustrating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @alexbunt,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 

I see that you're experiencing issues when printing from your Windows 10 computer to your wirelessly connected HP ENVY 7640 e All in One  Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue! 

Let's try the following steps: 

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Envy. If you see your HP Envy listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Envy. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Envy is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Envy driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download and install the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer

Once the installation is complete test printing.

If these steps resolved your issue please click "Accept as Solution." You can also click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks!"

Let me know how this goes! 🙂 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @alexbunt,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 

I see that you're experiencing issues when printing from your Windows 10 computer to your wirelessly connected HP ENVY 7640 e All in One  Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue! 

Let's try the following steps: 

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Envy. If you see your HP Envy listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Envy. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Envy is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Envy driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download and install the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer

Once the installation is complete test printing.

If these steps resolved your issue please click "Accept as Solution." You can also click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks!"

Let me know how this goes! 🙂 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

All works.  Thanks so much! 

best

Alexbunt

HP Recommended

After using Print and Scan Doctor 7 times, I was able to print the test page, but nothing else. Kept getting the printer offline notice. I followed all these steps, and at least for now, it's printing. Fingers crossed it stays connected!

Update 11/5/16 - Printer went offline again in the middle of a print job! Help! Why does it keep doing this?

HP Recommended

@CeeEmBee
Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the HP Envy 7640 doesn't print or stop during a print and gets into the Offline mode,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you resolve this concern:

It may go offline due to problems with the cartridge, or the wireless network or if there are computer related issues.
You can easily recover from this by reinitializing your wireless router and then restarting your hp envy7640 for PC.You can also reinstall the HP envy 7640 Software on your PC to prevent more issues.

Step 1

Go to “Devices and Printers” on your windows computer by clicking the Start menu.

Step 2

As shown in the image given below right click on 123 hp envy 7640 printer icon and then go to “See what’s printing” section.

Step 3

Like mentioned in the below image, remove the check in ‘Use Printer Offline’. After some time, your 123.hp.com 7640 printer will be online and you can start printing.

Step 4

If it still doesn’t start then you can Turn OFF your HP Envy 7640 printer and disconnect it
from your computer and after few minutes reconnect it with your computer and Turn ON the power.

Step 5

Finally, Restart your computer and with that, your HP Envy 7640 printer will work perfectly well, without going into offline mode again.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions for my issue with Windows 10, and it resolved the issue.  I had previously reinstalled the full software package, but had not removed the drivers first, so it seems that is the critical action.

Hopefully it still prints after the PC has been in hibernation; after reinstalling previously it worked once then stopped working after the PC was in hibernation.  I'll be back to this forum if there is an issue again.

Btw: your link to the full software and drivers download shows page not found.  I easily found it though on the HP site.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem,

It took me a few hours to figure out what was going wrong as HP solutions doesn't seem to have the answer either.

I followed all of HP's advise and solutions but nothing worked, the software would always fail to install the printer correctly.

So I had a play around to fix it myself as this is my Job ( and no I don't work for HP ). lol

I believe the issue is caused by a windows 10 build update which upsets the HP reg key.

follow these steps and I think you will find your printer/scanner Wireless and USB will work again.

1, go to Printers & Scanners, delete your HP printer.

2, go to add and remove programmes, Uninstall all your HP software.

3, press the windows key +r or in the search bar type regedit and enter.

In the registry go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard, Right click on this and press delete

The next key down should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HP, right click again and delete.

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HP, right click and delete again.

This should have removed all your HP reg keys related to your hp printer.

4, Restart your pc/ laptop

5, Now Install your printer drivers and software

Everything should work, Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.