Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Help

Printer is out of warranty and thus looking to see how someone can help resolve this error that I can't get resolve. Followed all steps to do it myself based on what I've found, however, to no avail. 

There is no jam

Unplugged and replugged

Cleared print cartridges

More details about the printer itsefl:

Product Name: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One

Product Number: T0F29A

Product Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]

Service ID: 28200

Firmware Version: MCP2CN2025AR

Total Page Count: 1113

Country/Region: USA
Cartridge Protection: Off

What next? 

I also can't get in contact directly with anyone from HP as the chatbot just won't allow as the printer is out of warranty.

Help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @drvaidya,

I'd like to help!

Please try the below suggestions:-

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

If the issue persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

I've tried these steps multiple times without success.

There doesn't seem to be a support option as my printer is out of warranty. 

Open to other suggestions.

Devang

HP Recommended

This is a hardware issue with the printer, I'd suggest you look into replacement options.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.