Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HPEnvy 5540
iOS

My printer suddenly won’t print using the HP app. 

When I print a document through the IOS print function it comes out fine. No problems at all. 

But when I want to print a document using the HP Smart app, it says my printer paper tray is open or empty. 
Neither of these things are true. So right now, I simply cannot print with the HP app. 

I have tried;

Opening and closing the tray

Reloading the paper

loading new paper

resetting the printer 

reinstalling the app

restarting my phone

cleaning the printer

But none of these things have worked to resolve the problem. 

As mentioned before, printing through iOS works fine and gives no errors or mentions of open trays or papertrays needing to be filled. 

Please help. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Fleurf

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting out of paper error while printing from the HP Smart app, I am glad to assist you.

Perform a power reset, reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware to install the latest updates

Here are the steps:- Click here

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As mentioned in my original post, I already reset the printer including a “power reset” as you call it. 

the printer firmware is always up to date. As is the HP app. 

The problem remains the samen. “Cannot print, drawer open or empty” 

Only have this problem in the HP app. 

HP Recommended

@Fleurf

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Keep me posted.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Interesting suggestion.
When I fill out all the details It says that HP won’t support me in any way and I should try this forum…

So hi, I have an HP app problem, as described above. Please help, because HP won’t. 

HP Recommended

@Fleurf

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What did u go ou end up doing? I have the same problem.

HP Recommended

One day while pondering the problem, this random solution just came to me out of the blue;
To solve this problem I put one sheet of photopaper in the designated photo drawer. This resolved the app printing issue. 

So even if you don’t ever want to print photos with your printer, you NEED to fill the photo tray as wel as the printer paper tray.

You could probably put in any (already printed) photograph or a sheet of paper cut to the size of the photo tray to solve this issue as well. 

To me it’s really mindblowing that HP doesn’t know about this issue with their own printers and doesn’t make a specified error message to go along with this ridicules problem. 

Another reason to not buy HP printers ever again. 

Hope this helps others with the same problem! 

HP Recommended

Thank you! This worked. 

HP Recommended

I only have one paper tray, I have the latest firmware (just checked), and continue to get the error.

What's most strange is that I printed a page earlier in the day from Google Chrome, then later when I tried to print from PowerPoint, the error started.  I tried all the suggestions in prior posts, nothing works.

Help?!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.