Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Deskjet 2512. The black ink cartridge was empty so I went to a local cartridge refill/recycle center and purchased a replacement. When I inserted the cartridge into the printer and tried to print a document, an error message came up that said "The following print cartridges are not intended for use in this printer as it is currently configured: Black. Refer to printer documentation."

Can I override this error message? I should note that I am a Mac user.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Most likely this problem is being caused by either a disruption in the cartridges power (i.e. dirty electrical contacts), or the cartridge is just faulty.  I was not able to find a full document dedicated to the problem you are having, but I did find a document that does mention this error.  The full document will be linked below, but these are the steps I pulled from that document.

One ink level icon and ink drop icon are blinking, and the attention light is on.

Figure 11: Graphic - Status lights of the HP Deskjet 2510 All-in-One series
Blinking ink level icon indicates that corresponding cartridge has a problem. Cartridge may be improperly installed, incompatible, defective, counterfeit or very low on ink.

• If you see a message on your computer screen, refer to the message for more information about the problem.
  • If there is no message on your computer screen, try removing and reinserting the cartridge.
  • Confirm that you are using the correct HP cartridge for your printer.
  • Determine if the cartridge is defective. To do this:
    • Remove black cartridge.
    • Close cartridge door.
    • If the Power light blinks, the tri-color cartridge should be replaced. If the Power light does not blink, replace the black cartridge.
  • If print quality is poor, consider replacing the cartridge.

Give these steps a try, and let me know what happens.  

Description of the Control Panel of the Product

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Most likely this problem is being caused by either a disruption in the cartridges power (i.e. dirty electrical contacts), or the cartridge is just faulty.  I was not able to find a full document dedicated to the problem you are having, but I did find a document that does mention this error.  The full document will be linked below, but these are the steps I pulled from that document.

One ink level icon and ink drop icon are blinking, and the attention light is on.

Figure 11: Graphic - Status lights of the HP Deskjet 2510 All-in-One series
Blinking ink level icon indicates that corresponding cartridge has a problem. Cartridge may be improperly installed, incompatible, defective, counterfeit or very low on ink.

• If you see a message on your computer screen, refer to the message for more information about the problem.
  • If there is no message on your computer screen, try removing and reinserting the cartridge.
  • Confirm that you are using the correct HP cartridge for your printer.
  • Determine if the cartridge is defective. To do this:
    • Remove black cartridge.
    • Close cartridge door.
    • If the Power light blinks, the tri-color cartridge should be replaced. If the Power light does not blink, replace the black cartridge.
  • If print quality is poor, consider replacing the cartridge.

Give these steps a try, and let me know what happens.  

Description of the Control Panel of the Product

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hi Mahtyd, did you get this message on a genuine HP or a refill?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi Ciara; my name is Brandy and I have the same problem. I bought the HP cartridges for my HP Photosmart d110, and in less of a month the printer presented this message "The following cartridges are not intended for use in this printer as it is currently configured". I took both cartridges of my printer and reinserted again, but it still the same message.

What can I do?

Thanks

Branty from DR

HP Recommended

Hi i have a HP4250 all in one printer and i get an error message saying "incompatible ink cartridge" the printer will not print at all.

I am using a HP ink cartridge HP75XL.

Any help would be welcome

thx Bert

HP Recommended

I did what was sugested, took the black cartridge out, shut door and pressed OK.  Printer indicated color was only available.  Then I reloaded the black and got the same error message. "Incompatible print cartridge"  This is an HP 4500 cartridge.  Can you help?

HP Recommended

I would try a hard reset on the printer.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

If that doesn't work, pull the cartridges out before performing the hard reset. Once it boots back up, it will ask for them, and then you will want to replace them. 

Try that and let me know if it helps! If it doesn't, just let me know and I will see what else we can try.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

I've tried everything in the printer manual, everything on the website troubleshooting and support site, and on the customer forums site and still cannot solve my problem.  I keep getting "incompatible print cartridge" displayed.  I have new cartridges installed properly, cleaned the areas suggested, and done a "hard" set.  Anything else I can try or should I just buy a new printer??

Thank you for your help 🙂

HP Recommended

@ Logan 3040 - I will need a little more information in order to help out. There a different printers mention throughout the thread. What model of printer is do you own? Dd you have the product plugged directly into in a wall outlet to  ensure that the device is getting the proper amount of power? If the machine is not getting enough power that can cause false error messages to occur. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Have done everything suggested and still get the incompatible cartridge message. The printer did successfully print after these new cartridges were installed-though just a couple of pages. Printer is a photosmart C4385.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.