Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @eloise4,

I am very happy to hear you got your printer working again!!  🙂

as for the little box, I do believe you can close that. I could probably answer that with more certainty if I was sure of the box you were speaking of though. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of what you see.

How to take a screenshot on a Mac.         How to post a picture on the HP Forums.

Thanks,

Ms. Wonderful Sunshyn 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. The Mac just wouldnt recognise the scanner part of the OfficeJet Pro 8600 plus, although I could do a Webscan.

Eventually, after many false starts, I deleted the McAfee antivirus that came free with my Broadband Infinity package , and it all worked fine straight away!

Moral - Macs dont need Antivirus programmes :manhappy:
...( I hope...)

HP Recommended

Well, the thing for me, is that I tried this.  Scan never allows me to clikc on it.  It is greyed out.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I have reset drive permissions and may have done one more thing.  No matter what I do.  It will not allow me to hit scan.  The printer works fine.  That is how I know the thing is not broken.  It seems to be the software not working with my Mac Pro.

HP Recommended

Dear Ms. Sunshyn2005,

There is a rectangle that's a disk or something labeled "HP Printer Drivers." I click on it twice and an opened box appears. Can I throw/eject both or one of these things?Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 8.33.48 PM.png

eloise4

HP Recommended

@Glowzinski85: You say "Scan never allows me to click on it" but you do not specify where the "Scan" is located. Is it within Image Capture or somewhere else? Have you downloaded the HP Easy Scan program from the App Store which seems to be the most reliable application for scanning from HP devices at present? If not, this is worth a try.

Personally I have no problems scanning with an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 or an OfficeJet 7610 with this application (or with Image Capture) across the network from my Late 2009 iMac 27 running Yosemite 10.10.3, so please be assured that it is possible to get it working OK.

The driver versions on my Mac are 4.1.0 for the 8600 and 4.2.1 for the 7610, and both devices have the latest versions of their firmware.

HP Recommended

Eloise4: Is this disk located on the desktop in the top right corner? If so, it is the icon for the disk image file on which the drivers are located. You can "eject" or un-mount this disk image by either dragging it to the Trash, which will change to an "eject" icon, or right click on it and choose "Eject <diskimage name>".

A disk image file is a file which contains an image of a drive. It is best to think of it as being like an SD card or USB drive which has been copied in its entirety onto a computer. When you double-click on it this is the same as plugging the SD card or USB drive into the computer, and it appears on the desktop in the same way. Just as you would eject an SD card or USB drive when you are finished with it so that you can safely unplug it, you do the same thing with a disk image. It will then be "un-mounted" or ejected from the computer but the original file which contains the disk image will still be there in case you want to use it again.

Disk image files are a very good way for distributing software because unlike SD cards, USB drives, CD or DVD-ROMs they can be transported across the internet! But to all intents and purposes they perform the same function.

HP Recommended

I did what you suggested, but now I cannot retrieve updated drivers for my Photosmart Premium C410b

HP Recommended

I just tried this again.  I did eveything just as you said.  I go to scan.  It says "The overview scan failed to complete."  Then, the scan button is grey.  I can not click on it.  That is only when I open the show details box.  When it is closed, I can click scan.  But, it says select area to scan.  How can I select an area of something that does not exist yet?  LOL

HP Recommended

Ok, I contaced HP again.  They were connected to my Mac.  The lady tried a bunch of stuff and could not get the scanner to work.  She said that she had tried everything she could.  I had to go.  But, now what?  I did not even get a follow up email.  Did I waste my money on this thing?  I need a scanner.  

HP Recommended

@Glowzinski85: Please specify the following:

1. Which application you are trying to use - eg Image Capture, HP Easy Scan, Photoshop or any other application? You say "I go to scan" but this is not specific enough for anyone to know what you mean by this.

2. Which version of the driver you have installed (check in System Preferences->Printers&Scanners->Options&Supplies for the printer you are trying to use).

3. Which printer,

4. What version of firmware does the printer have installed on it

5. Which version of MacOSX - I know you are using a Mac Pro from a previous post.

6. Do you have the printer connected via the network or via USB?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.