Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows XP

The OfficeJet 4650 is advertised as being compatible with WinXP.  I downloaded the driver for WinXP (32 bit) but it won't install:

"HP-DQEX5.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

When I attempt to install from the CD, which also lists compatibility with WinXP, I get the same error message.  If I instead click the link it presents to go to 123.hp.com it takes me to a page that says:

"We’re sorry—We don’t support this operating system."

How do I get this printer to work with WinXP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured it out!

For anyone else trying to solve this puzzle, the clue is that the printer itself has an Embedded Web Server that you can get to from your browser using the IP address acquired when you set up the wireless acess.  There you'll find a tab for "Scan" that lets you use either the ADF or glass, choose quality settings and .pdf or .jpg output.  Works great!

There's also a tab for Fax where you can set up all the associated options.

Hopefully this will be enough to help others with the same problem :generic:

p.s.  see my earlier post about how I got the printer to work :Wink:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @twd1 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I’d like to help!

I understand that you are trying to install the printer on your Windows XP machine. The Officejet 4650 printer is supported by Windows XP. I'd suggest you try and use the Windows built-in drivers and check:

1. Open Printers and Faxes. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

2. Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer to open the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.

3. Click A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer, and then click Next.

4. Use the printer IP address and finish the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response DVortex :generic:

Is there a way to do it without accepting the terms and conditions associated with activating the wireless capability, like just using the USB connection?

HP Recommended

Hello, @twd1

Don't we all love to install a software without accepting the terms and conditions? 😉

But, I am afraid just like in software installation terms, we cannot proceed without agreeing to the terms 😞

Try the steps I mentioned & let me know if that works by marking my post as a Solution!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay DVortex, I didn't see a message letting me know there was a response and just now saw it!

I was successful in getting the printer to work by running the O4650x86.msi file on the CD then plugging in the USB cable and letting it find additional drivers.  If I remember right, I had to restart and let it load some additional files from the CD before it would work properly but I didn't leave enough bread crumbs to retrace my steps exactly.

But I couldn't figure out how to get the scanner to work so I went back to a restore point before any of the drivers were loaded and tried what you suggested above.  It did install some things from the CD and the device showed up in my list of printers but when I try to print a test page it lights up like it's going to do something and nothing comes out :indifferent:

And I still can't get the scanner to work either :smileyfrustrated::smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

Hello, @twd1

It could be an issue with the operating system environment on your PC. 

Try to update the operating system to Windows 7 or above as the XP is obsolete at this point.

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I figured it out!

For anyone else trying to solve this puzzle, the clue is that the printer itself has an Embedded Web Server that you can get to from your browser using the IP address acquired when you set up the wireless acess.  There you'll find a tab for "Scan" that lets you use either the ADF or glass, choose quality settings and .pdf or .jpg output.  Works great!

There's also a tab for Fax where you can set up all the associated options.

Hopefully this will be enough to help others with the same problem :generic:

p.s.  see my earlier post about how I got the printer to work :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hello, @twd1

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you have a wonderful day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.