Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 8500A Premium e-All-in-One A910A the problem I am having is like almost everyone else. I read all the posts here and the solutions haven't worked. I hardly used the printer so basically it's nearly brand new. Yesterday I went to print a shipping label to this printer and discovered that it wasn't working. Prior to a few power out surges from severe thunderstorms here in Florida the printer was working when I used it last. Now that my 2 year warranty ran out in Jan. 2013 the printer decides to have problems. Never in warranty do I have a problem with eletronics. I also have another HP printer connected, the Photosmart eStation C510a and after warranty went out I had problems with 7" Tablet not communicating with printer on wireless. Anyway back the 8500A Premium. After realizing printer was not working I looked over and the power light was on. Printer was plugged into a surge protector strip. So did a search on internet and found an HP forum solution. Well I unplugged the cord from surge protector, disconnected from printer & disconnect cord from power supply. I used an extention cord & plugged it into another available wall socket. Connected short cord into external power supply. Green light lit on the power supply then plugged into printer which touch screen came on & printer started its thing for about 15 minutes until everything was all done. Once the screen was completely on & printer working I shut the printer off so that I may use a wall socket closer to the printer which was behind a heavy object. Plugged everything back up again directly to a wall socket. Now the printer will not work again. The power supply green light is lit & power light on printer was lit. Followed the same steps and printer touch screen wont come on. Tried same steps over & over trying different wall sockets with negative results. Finally after several hours I walked away. To pay for support on an HP product is rediculous. I am wondering could the HP external power supply went bad?? Need help PLEASE????   

HP Recommended

Here is my problem, My printer in not printing the black ink. So I want to reset it to factory. How ever your rest requires I press on numbers etc. Well my number panel only shows when making copies.

I have cleaned heads, aligned  to the point i used all my new colored ink.  I think the black in could be faulty or something wrong with it as I just put it in. All I get on my print out is blue, green, pink and orange, sometimes I get black lines once or twice I got light gray letters.

HP Recommended

Hi A6S,

I would like to help you with your black ink not printing problem. Follow the steps in this document for Troubleshooting Print Quality.

If you determine it is the black ink cartridge please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl.

Let me know how this works for you or if you need further assistance.

thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi lonewolf8417,

I would like to help you with your power on problem. Follow the steps in this document forThe HP Printer Won't Turn On or Respond.

Let me know how this works for you or if you need further assistance.

thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have an officejet 8500a and was confused at first on where the top left/bottom left touch points were located. I finally figured it out, and now the printer is doing a reset as I type this.  

Does anyone need me to post a video showing how to get to the menu for the touchscreen? I can record one and youtube it if needed.

HP Recommended

I also found the solution on YouTube.  First, some background.

I have a Officejet 8500 A910g which was suffering from the Checking Device - Cleaning Printhead issue.  I found this fabulous video on YouTube which shows the RIGHT way to enter the Top Left, Bottom Left, Top Left, Top Left sequence.  You don't press on the screen.  You press to the left of the screen - halfway between the wireless icon and the left edge of the screen.  It make take a few tries.  Before entering the key sequence, do have to:
Turn the printer OFF
While OFF, hold the power button for 5 secs, then release it.
The screen goes from Black to Gray.
Enter the key sequence to the left of the screen.
Here is the video.  It's in German but it doesn't matter because he shows you exactly where and what to press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnET-jRXGo

btw - I had to use the most drastic reset - OBO (Out Of Box) which resets to the factory settings.  I then had to reenter all settings (date/time, network, fax, etc.) but my printer was now working (LOUD CHEERING!!!)

HP Recommended
Hi

Semi full reset for your printer:
Support Menu: Press BL BL BL BL
under support menu : select reset menu
Under reset select Semi full reset
The printer will shut down for few seconds
Turn it on After 30 seconds and set the printer again

Although i m an HP Employee , I am saying this with my experience and not for HP .
HP Recommended

The last 4 times I've changed my ink cartridges, my cyan printhead has required a 3rd level cleaning, done twice before it would print.  The last 2 times I've changed ink cartridges, the magenta also requires several 3rd level cleanings before it will print.  This wastes considerable ink!  I just replaced ink cartridges again and the cyan did not print and after cleaning the printheads 10 times, the magenta also quit working.  What can I do, in English please, not a German video?  I used the Trouble Shooting site and downloaded the software and updates again.  Cyan and Magenta still don't print.  - Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer A910g -

HP Recommended

How do you # 6 while before the printer has powered up?  There is nothing on the display.

HP Recommended

Me too.  This keeps happening and sometimes will go for a while, but now it is doing this consistantly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.