Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6978
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

All of a sudden my printer stopped printing- I re downloaded the drivers, there is no paper jam- I looked, I took out the ink cartridges and put them back in

error code 0x6100004a

Its only 14 months old!

I unplugged it multiple times - still get the printer failure message

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Myth1973, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you are getting an error code 0x6100004a and paper jam error on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned you are getting an error code 0x6100004a and paper jam error on your printer.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Perform a power reset
Press the Power button () to turn on the product.
With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button () to turn it on.

Make sure the carriage can move freely

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

note:

You might need a flashlight to complete some of these steps.

Figure : Flashlight

Image: Flashlight
  1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Opening the ink cartridge access door
  3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

warning:

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

6. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

caution:

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

7. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

8. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

9. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

12. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.

13. Turn on the printer.

Try to print. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot paper jam issues with your printer.

Also, try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Link to update the printer firmware.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks
I tried all of that and it still says printer failure
HP Recommended

Hi @Myth1973

It looks like you were interacting with Mr Robot, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service.I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation

I see that you have already done all the required troubleshooting steps.

Since the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Phone Support for Service Options.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue...problem is there is no paper stuck anywhere.  I tried all your tips and still the error code comes up.  The ink is stuck over to the right side.  I can’t get it to move.  Please help!!  I only bought this about six months ago and don’t want to have to buy another

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.