Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy photo 7855

I have lost setup ink cartridges, which comes with printer. I bought new ink cartridges, but I can not use my printer. Can I setup standard cartridge? I appreciate your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Need_Printer_He,

We would have to perform an OOBE reset on the printer to bypass the error

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

156 REPLIES 156
HP Recommended

@ALRASH,

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that you are having issues with your Office jet 8620 printer. Do not worry, I’m here to help 

First off, the SETUP ink cartridges are used only to set up a new HP printer for the first series of your print jobs. They are specially designed to initialize a printer and calibrate ink levels.

Installing normal ink cartridges during the initial printer setup causes a printer error prompting you to install SETUP ink cartridges. The printer cannot be set up without associated SETUP ink cartridges installed.

Hence, if this is a first-time printer setup and if you have received the setup cartridges with the printer, please use them to setup the printer.

You can keep the regular cartridges in an air-tight container and can use once the printer is setup using the setup cartridges.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Ink Cartridges - 'Use SETUP Cartridges' Error

just in case, if you want to bypass the setup cartridges and want to use the regular ink cartridges, I believe we can bypass the setup by performing a reset.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"use setup cartridges that came with your printer" is the error message I'm getting. I do not have the setup cartridges...how can I setup my printer without them? I have the HP Envy Photo 7855   THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

@ALRASH,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I see that you still seem to have the issue with setup cartridges, Just wanted to check if you have followed the instructions from the previous post.

If you haven't tried it, please go through this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Setup-Envy-Photo-7855-Without-Setup-Cartridges/m-p/686...

If you have tried it and still having the issue, In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Sir,

I have tried, but it is not working. Can you send me step by step process, please. More detailed. I appreciate your support. 

With deep respect

Alrash

HP Recommended

@ALRASH

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @Jeet_singh, as the tech is out for the day, that said, I have reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

I see that we've reached the end of the line, as you've already performed the reset and you've been referred to contact HP on the private message sent by the last tech,

And I recommend you do just that to resolve this issue, as it seems to be a hardware malfunction.

If you are unable to contact us using the instructions provided, please let us know so that we can work on the same.

Let me know how that pans out,

have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have this problem please help 

HP Recommended

@Priya9427581,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

In order to bypass the setup cartridges and want to use the regular ink cartridges, I believe we can bypass the setup by performing a reset.

I am going to send you a private message with the instructions on how to perform an advanced reset. Now these steps are specific to your printer only. 

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is a way to bypass this warning, but it did not work for me. I ended up returning the printer because it was defective. There are various troubleshooting protocols, but you really need to work with HP Support directly. They ask that users not share the specific sequence of buttons to push to get the printer to ignore this error. I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with HP trying to get the bypass to work, but no luck. Sorry. 

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue with 7855.  Can you please send override instructions?  I have seen the hidden support menu option to override on other models. However, the 7855 does not have this option to bypass the setup cartridge situation using Trade OBEE in the systems config menu. 

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.