Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Lasterjet pro MFP m281FDW
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi, I'm getting a supply problem error message, and this just occurred after the HP update. How can I resolve it?

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

Having the same issue. I have unplugged the printer and removed and reinstalled the toner cartridges. 

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue.  Similarly, I have unplugged the printer and removed and reinstalled the toner cartridges. No change - still getting "Supply Problem"

Looking forward to prompt HP support help on this

HP Recommended

Hey Guys,

Just got off with support. They let me know that they pushed out an updated which removed support for a bunch of 3rd party toner cartridges. They told me there is no way to roll the printer back. 

HP Recommended

What was the next step/solution?

HP Recommended

Are there any work arounds?  My toner cartridges are relatively new, and quite expensive, and I'd prefer not to have to buy 4 more.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I finally found a phone number for HP support and spoke with someone about this issue. I was told the same thing as a previous responder, that the new firmfare downloaded by HP basically recognizes non hp cartridges, and stops the initialization. Only fix is to buy HP cartridges! This really sucks! HP has now forced you to purchase their ink, which sells for 2 to 3 times as much. This can't be legal!!!!

HP Recommended

The update appeared on my printer and I installed it yesterday......bad decision.  Firmware update was 20200612.  All my settings are set to not check for HP toner and continue.   I had printed a number of pages and then after the update the supplies error message came up and cant print.   I have looked for the a downlevel firmware update but so far cant find one.

HP Recommended

I'm so pissed off right now. I have a business to run, and they are acting like gangsters. That's the reward we get for giving them our business.  Go to hell HP, I'll give my business to someone else.

HP Recommended

HA HA! at the bottom of the page, below my message, it said, "Be alert for scammers". How ironic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.