Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 that's about a year old.  It uses the HP Smart app on my desktop when I scan in documents and photos.  My problem is NOT with my printer, it works fine.  It's with the software HP Smart.  Until about 3 or 4 days ago I could scan in things and edit them from the scan before I saved them.  For example, I would scan a photo in, and I could edit the size down to exclude the areas around the photo that were not needed.  I could do the same with documents as well when it was like a half sheet form I could scale down the size of the document to save just the document, not the entire area outside the size of the document.  But then HP Smart did an update!  Now I attempt to edit the scanned item and instead of it going to a screen with the bars on it so I can move them to scale it down, it shows me just the bars with no document shown underneath it.  This is not an issue with my scanner because when I back out of the edit screen it shows me the document it just scanned again, but not in the edit screen.  Why would you remove this feature?  I found it very helpful and now it's basically useless to try to scale something down when you cannot even see the item to scale it.  Also, I attempted to get help from HP online chat, and it demanded I enter my product model and serial number, even though the problem is with HP software, NOT my product.  And for the sole reason of it being out of warranty, it refused to allow me to chat with anyone for help.  But I couldn't proceed until I entered my product information.  Again, you've rendered the help basically useless by forcing us to enter product information when that is not what we are even looking for assistance with.  Has anyone had the same issue?  Were you able to solve it?  If so, what did you do?  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Smart software and it doesn't fix the problem.  HELP!  TIA!

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem. 

HP Recommended

@kimberly1267

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Verses62

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which Printer do you have? and to which device is it connected to?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Exact same problem.  Don't you hate updates that break the app?!

HP Recommended

That link is to total bs about updating the software on the printer.  That is not the problem!  Does "support" READ these before responding?  Better to remain frustratingly silent than to give suggestions like this.

Just fix the app.  In the meantime I guess we'll all go find an app that works as a substitute, and maybe just stick with it.

HP Recommended

SUPER frustrated!! My HP Envy 7155 is only six months old. It used to edit beautifully until just the past month or two. I've spent hours trying out the above fixes but they don't work and it just spins and spins. I finally deleted the software from my computer and reloaded it and it worked ONCE but then it stops working again. In case HP wants to know what is happening: Anytime I "edit"  the screen goes to a white screen with grids but loses my photo, then a black screen. The only way out is to delete and start over. I've spent a TON of money over the years on HP products and this is the first time I've seen them ignore requests to fix whatever they've done to HPSMART editing. Ugggghhhh!!  During this pandemic I'm going through boxloads of photos but this is adding to my stress. Does anyone know of another scanner that works properly?? I'm definitely ready to make a change.

HP Recommended

Having this same problem with the HP Smart app Scan feature on HP ENVY Photo 6255.

HP Recommended

@Sheryl1234, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are having issues while editing the photos on the HP Smart app. Let us try these steps:

Uninstall the HP Smart app.

Check for any pending Windows update on the PC

Go to Microsoft Store and search for the HP Smart app and reinstall the same with the updated version of the app.

As an alternative, use the HP Scan Extended app to scan and check if that helps.

Click here to download the app. 

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

You may also install the full-feature printer driver from here if required for scanning.

Click here to know how to scan using this software.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600; I followed the steps below and this did not fix the issue.  I was unable to download the HP Scan Extended app, so not sure if that would help or not. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.