Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible

One year and six months after purchasing this expensive laptop there was a short in the motherboard.  The computer stopped charging yesterday morning, gave me a low-battery warning and emitted an electrical-burn smell and would not respond after I shut it down.

I opened the back and the short on the motherboard was immediately apparent, unfortunately burning through the replacement part number.  I verified that the power connector wires had not broken or pulled lose as some people had indicated a common problem there.  I contacted HP support - they gave me the appropriate part number, but their charge for just the part approached 80% of the cost new of the computer.

I see on these boards that numerous people have experienced failed motherboards in this laptop, typically just beyond the warranty coverage.  I'm extremely disappointed after spending what I did just 18 months ago to face having to repair it myself or replace it.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper source for motherboards or can HP offer me any help to salvage this situation?

93 REPLIES 93
HP Recommended

@MochaJava

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response - I'll take your assurance with very guarded optimism for now.  As I review this board, I see identical failures in this product reported over and over.  I checked the replacement parts site for this motherboard and noted that there are zero in stock and that they were on backorder.  This suggests a lot more failures of this product than are even reported on this board.  It also explains why I'm finding aftermarket options so rare and expensive.  

I really hope HP plans to back its name with a solution.

HP Recommended

Kudos to HP for standing behind this product, even though the failure happened behond the warranty period.  I posted my problem on Friday AM, received an immediate response and ultimately a call from a rep on Monday PM.  He said that he didn't see any indication that my problem was common, but that a "one-time courtesy" they would have me send it in for repair at no expense.  I receive a shipping box with prepaid label on Tuesday and sent it back on Wednesday.  The laptop returned Saturday morning with a new motherboard, all my data, and all my programs and setting intact.

Well done.

HP Recommended

I look at those pics - that is exactly where mine was fried.

HP Recommended
So guess what?! My Spectre x360 has just done the exact same thing. Like almost everyone else, mine has conveniently died 14 months after purchasing it (December 2015) and so it's now out of warranty. I have taken it into a local repair shop (also a hp business credited store) and they cannot find what is wrong with it, but they will not open it. I am fairly certain that my laptop has also suffered from the faulty capacitor issue with the motherboard and this is no doubt what the problem with mine is. After looking through the hp support forums and other websites this problem is far to common with the hp spectre x360 purchased around 2015. I am appalled that this issue seems to be reoccurring with this model of laptop and HP seem to be unwilling to admit fault and replace, what's more is that they won't do anything to help if it's out of warranty, unless you want to pay an extortionate amount (£700 or so) for them to fix it! The arrogance! So I'm here asking if anyone is able to point me in the right direction as to helping get my £1000, 14 month old laptop working again. HP, you know this is a reoccurring fault with one of your laptops, surely the decent thing is to offer to repair my laptop free of charge. At the minute I am not very happy with HP, let's see if you can change that?!
HP Recommended

This happened to me as well. I opened oUp the back to find that it's burned out just like the pics from the Amazon reviews. This is horrible as after doing more internet searches, I see that is is a very frequent problem yet HP is not acknowledging it.

I am also looking to get my laptop repaired or get a motherboard replacement if anyone knows where to get one.

HP Recommended
Get hp support involved even if it is out of warranty. This is their product defect, not normal wear and tear. And don't listen to their BS about how normal electronic ages. What we have here is NOT normal, and it causes fire and health hazard.

Insist on getting repair on hp's cost.

Here are some pictures I found on the internet as well as my own case. Feel free to share them with the HP representative that contacts you to prove the point.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Bu9TKwADa4dk85UjV0TW9iQms

Also it will be appreciated if you could snap a picture of your burned motherboard and share with us. Good luck.
HP Recommended

This same issue happened to me last week...

My laptop was purchased brand new, from Microsoft on 2/22/2016.  After it stopped responding to the charge, I took it into a nearby repair center. They ran diagnostics and were able to confirm the motherboard is the cause of power failure. They quoted the repair at $640.00. After discussing this with HP, they told me their cost is $712.00! The best they could offer me was a 40% discount to repair the motherboard.

All though the laptop is out of warranty and I did not purchase the extended warranty I find it very frustrating that I need to pay hundreds of dollars to have this fixed. This laptop is practically brand new, what are the chances of a motherboard going bad on a brand new laptop? What kind of product is this?! If I would have known this would happen, I definitely would have spent my $1000 on a more reliable product other than an HP.

HP should really investigate this issue and fix these faulty laptops at no charge. It is unfortunate that all of us have already spent so much money on these expensive laptops (assuming they would last longer than 1 1/2yrs without serious issues like this) only to have the worst case scenario take place.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.