Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Linux

Hello,

I recently bought a hp OfficeJet 8620 Pro and I am now testing some important functions for my business. One of them is borderless printing of flyers with A4 format. But the problem is: even if i choose "A4 borderless" as paper size and "photo paper" as paper format it always prints a white border around te whole page - so it is not printing borderless as chosen from menu. The flyers I want to print have all pdf format and I print them from a programm called "document viewer", but using another programm for printing borderless such as gimp doesn't make any difference!

By the way: I  am using  Linux (Lubuntu 16.04) as operating system, the printer is plugged in via usb and the driver I am using is "HP Officejet Pro 8620, hpcups 3.16.3".

Please help me to find a solution for this huge problem, because printing flyers for my small business is one of the most important reasons I bought this printer for and I urgently need to print some (borderless) flyers for the weekend too.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everybody,

it's me again. Yesterday I solved the "problem".  The problem was that the image of the pdf which I wanted to print borderless had the size 210mm x 297 (A4), but I had to scale it bigger to 214,5 mm x 300,9mm  until it had the correct size for borderless printing (A4).

Unfortunately, these strange dimensions do not exactly appear in the media size dialog within the print settings in HP tools programm but rather in dialogue of the PDF viewer, if you select paper type and paper size. I don't understand this, but I does finally work and this is all I wanted. Anyway thanks for trying to help me! :Wink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Have you followed these steps?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Borderless-and-Duplex-printing-with-8610-8620-8630-86...

BTW, I don't know why that's in the LaserJet section.

HP Recommended

Hi,

What paper do you use?

Borderlett printing is only supported on specific paper types such as Photo Paper, Brochure Paper, etc,

It is not supported on a Plain Paper which is too thick for borderless printing..

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello,

yes I have followed these steps, at least as far as it was possible. The shown screenshot is from a windows system, not linux so I can only reconstruct the notes for a linux based system, e.g. lubuntu in my case.

In printer settings i already chose "A4 Borderless 210x297mm", another option or media size as "edge to edge" or "brochure media" ist not appering in drop down menu and is therefore not available. So unfortunately this hint doesn't help me at all but thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I am using "Special InkJet Paper Professional" with 105g from the company "Sigel" for printing flyers on or better I say try it so. Just for fun I tried it on  plain paper yesterday, but now as you say that this is even less meaningful I do not need to try this any further. I did not know that there are special formats , paper types or thicknesses as a condition of borderless printing . Where is this listed? I couldn't find any further information for that.

Is there special Brochure Paper from Hp I need to print this flyers on or is printing flyers only possible with special paper from hp an not with any other special paper from other companies?

HP Recommended

Hello everybody,

it's me again. Yesterday I solved the "problem".  The problem was that the image of the pdf which I wanted to print borderless had the size 210mm x 297 (A4), but I had to scale it bigger to 214,5 mm x 300,9mm  until it had the correct size for borderless printing (A4).

Unfortunately, these strange dimensions do not exactly appear in the media size dialog within the print settings in HP tools programm but rather in dialogue of the PDF viewer, if you select paper type and paper size. I don't understand this, but I does finally work and this is all I wanted. Anyway thanks for trying to help me! :Wink:

HP Recommended

I'm glad you found a workaround.

Just wondering, the image in this PDF actually occupied the whole page? That is, the print preview showed no white margins?

HP Recommended

Hello,

the print preview indeed always showed  a white border (I previously didn't attach this any importance, because everything looked ok at first sight) until I scaled the image bigger. In the print preview with normal A4 size it positioned the image on the top left corner and therefore had on the top right corner and on the bottom white margins. So scaling the image bigger than standard A4 size and centering it made the white border disappear completely and nothing else was cropped after printing. :generic:

I suppose the HP printer just didn't scale the image automatically by himself because there was no appropriate function in the driver to set up like in the driver of the Canon printer I had before. Therefore I noticed the wrong media size only now.

HP Recommended

Using these dimensions in MS Word (in cm) worked as well (white border still displayed in print preview). Many thanks.

However in addition I found (and read) that Paper Type in printer properties of Print dialog must be set to photo paper (e.g. HP Everyday Photo Paper, Matte) even if printing on normal paper, as borderless is not supported with plain papers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.