Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Well, I still think it's a software issue, not a hardware one.  Put your paper in any tray ... but choose something other than "cardstock" as your paper ...  the "thick, plain paper" which is usually right after plain paper, worked on two different operating systems for me.    Let me know, OK?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but sorry to say that you are incorrect.  Are you using an 8600, 8600 Plus or 8600 Premium?  I've tried all combinations, paper types, etc. and the card stock will not pull in.  The Premium with two input tray would probably work because the paper feeds straight in from the upper tray 1

Thanks agaim

HP Recommended

Hi again.   I'm using a HP Officejet Pro 8600 with one tray.  I put my cardstock right in over my plain paper.  Sometimes I put in one sheet, other times I put in several sheets.  I used to get  an "out of paper" message when I choose cardstock as my paper; since I switched it to plain, thick paper, it has worked like a charm.

This has to be frustrating to you, I'm sure.

HP Recommended

I've been trying that but still get an out of paper message.  I'll be shopping for a new printer that WORKS!!!

HP Recommended

Hi there,

You can use this following steps:

1) Select cardstock from Printer Preferences

2) Load a few pieces of cardstock in input tray (~10 pieces)

3) Print your images.

If this does not work, you can try to copy/print 50-100 blank plain media, and proceed to Step (1) - (3) as mentioned above.

Although I am an HP employee, I speak for myself.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry to say that after my 4th printer (they all either didn't pull in the card stock or left a crease of about an inch in the middle of the page)  Printer was returned and I've gotten a refund.  The  6600 that I purchased works fine

HP Recommended

I have tried this and all the recommendations I could find on line.  I spent about an hour on the phone with HP support and nothing works.  This seems like a common and widespread problem and I'm kicking myself for not researching this before my purchase.  I'll now return this printer and buy another brand; I don't have time for this in my life.  I used to be a fan of the brand but the previous HP printer lasted just over a year and I thought this was an upgrade.  Disappointing experience to say the least.

HP Recommended

ok had the exact same prob as everyone else on this forum- just talked to an awesome lady at tech support "Melissa" at HP services and she solved the issue and low and behold it was super simple...to solve this issue with this model make sure that your printing perferences under the actual printer and the program you are using are set to "cardstock" - meaning...

click on start menu open your printer preferences by right clicking icon and selecting printer preferences -under paper/quality tab be sure to change your paper type to "cardstock" under media- also if you are printing with microsoft office/word/ serif or which ever program you are using make sure the media or paper type is also selected to the cardstock as well. Should work then- ours did:) 🙂 🙂 Good Luck to all!

HP Recommended

choosing cardstock not an option available!

HP Recommended

the software as well as printer interface do not give a cardstock or thick paper option

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.