Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a Scanjet 3520 and this did not work the first time I tried.  On the second try, I restarted my MacBook after deleting the printer.  After it restarted, I added the printer back and now it scans.

HP Recommended

Just in case if anyone still having issues. After months of frustration I finally found out what causing the issue. You need to check your firewall settings ensuring that your internet network is set to home or work network. I have Mcafee internet security installed and noticed within the firewall settings that my network was set to Public, which means that my IMAC was not discoverable. After I changed this to Home network, I was able to see my printer when I clicked on the add printer and better still I had the option of using Airprint which previously this  did not come up before, then I was able to get the lastest drivers via the software update and make full use of the scanner as well as the printer.

Previously I had to manually type in the IP address which enalbe me to print but the scanner was not working.

HP Recommended

@ Neil12134: Are you sure about your suggestion? There are no such settings on a Macintosh for the firewall, which in any event is generally off by default on the Mac.

It would not be necessary for most people  to have a firewall running on their Mac unless they have a local network which is accessible to potential threats. Most home networks are adequately protected by the router.

The settings you describe are what you have to choose between on a PC running Windows, and I have to say that I always find them very confusing. There is no clue as to what the difference is between the different settings so it is a bit of a lottery what you choose, and when you have chosen one of the settings you don't know what difference it has masde. Typical Windows, in fact. But those setting choices do not apply to a Macintosh.

HP Recommended

Hi ncollingridge,

I have macaffe internet security installed on my Mac running OSX and there is a option within the program to set the internet settings to public network or home network. Its was defaulted to public but as soon I changed it to home network the issue resolved stright away.

Maybe the setting apply on my OSX mac because of the Mcafee software I have installed.

I also have windows PC and did not experience any problem as it worked straight away...

HP Recommended

That makes more sense. Your original post was very misleading on this point I'm afraid - you mentioned the firewall before you mentioned the McAfee product so it seemed like the McAfee software was incidental to the firewall, not the reason for the firewall being active. MacOSX does have a built-in firewall and so it was reasonable to assume that was what you were referring to.

My personal experiences with McAfee products in the past have been uniformly absolutely terrible, so I refuse to have their products anywhere near any computer I own.

HP Recommended

@ ncollingridge,

Thanks for your reply. However there was no need to be abrupt when you reply. I posted my comment in hopeing to help others.

I'm happy with the Mcafee product which was initially bought for windows and I also had an option to install it on mac, it has not affected the performance of the mac or pc, and most important of all it reduces the risk of viruses and other security issues.  Yes the MAC is still vunerable with online attacks and viruses.

Next time you reply to anyone post please so some respect.

HP Recommended

This is exactly to the letter my problem.

HP Recommended

@ Neil12134: Sorry you feel that way, however I think you are being a bit over-sensitive. I don't think I was either abrupt or disrespectful, but if you feel that I was then I apologise.

I simply found your original post somewhat ambiguous and I am not sure exactly what is wrong with pointing that out in the context of a support forum. If I had received a reply like the one I sent I would probably have said "Oh yes, I can see how that might be misconstrued. But now you are clear on that point so all's well!"

But once again if you feel offended by my post then I apologise.

HP Recommended

No, this does not help.  I do not get an error message now.  So, I guess it DOES help with that.  But, when I click scan, it says select area.  Hmm, wait.  Ok, I can not scan with the HP Scan software.  Then, it DID work when I went to printer and click on that.  But now, it says the overview scan failed to complete and it will not work.  

HP Recommended

Hi folks,

The only way I have found around this right now is to use HP Easy Scan.

It is available from the Apple App Store here:  HP Easy Scan

We are looking into the Image Capture piece.

- Source

Perhaps the HP Easy Scan will be helpful!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.