cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
justwannascan
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Can I scan without ink cartridges?

HP Recommended
Deskjet 3050 All-in-one J610a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to use the scan feature on this device without having any ink cartridge present? If no, why does scanning a document need ink? That would not make sense. Someone gave me this computer without the ink cartridges. Is is possible to use this device for scanning without the cartridges? At the moment all I am getting when I turn the printer on is the green power light flashing, the wireless blue light flashing also and printer telling me in German that both cartridges have either failed or cannot be detected (makes sense as they are not present). But can I connect the printer to the computer in anyway and use it for scanning? Upon pressing the scan button it tells me in German that there is a scan error and I should try scanning from the computer. But at the moment I don't have a USB cable for the printer. Thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
justwannascan
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just checked with a USB cable. I can scan without any cartridges, so that is good. I am using the HP Printer Assistant for this model for scanning. I also did a factory reset on the device before and changed the interface language to English. Now it tells me that I must install the cartridges, but using the Printer Assistant software I am still able to scan. Can I use cheap replacement cartridges that I can get from ebay or similar? The original HP ones seem comparatively expensive.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
33,070 28,226 5,588 12,219
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Scanning does not need ink, but this is an all in one device and not a scanner.

As the device have no ink it is in error state, installing the device or scanning with it cannot be done as long as the error state not being cleared.

You may try using a USB cable and check if that work, although it may fail too due to the error state, configuring the printer on the wireless network can surely not be done with such.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,794 65,507 12,540 21,612
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL @justwannascan 

I know first of all, MFP or AIO printers are printers therefore they all check few things including INKS during warming up process and no INKS means NO GO.

I posted few times on this forum: HP should allow users to use Scan function to bypass inks and firmware can do this for sure.

Just my 2 cents

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
justwannascan
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yikes. I will get a USB cable and try to get it to work this way. If it doesn't work, what is the minimum number of cartridges (and their types, black/white or color) that I need to get around this design choice by HP?

ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
33,070 28,226 5,588 12,219
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing one cartridge should allow using it, either the black or the tri-color one.

The cartridge number varies for different countries, when you open the front cartridge access door you should see a label with the cartridges number for your region.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
justwannascan
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just checked with a USB cable. I can scan without any cartridges, so that is good. I am using the HP Printer Assistant for this model for scanning. I also did a factory reset on the device before and changed the interface language to English. Now it tells me that I must install the cartridges, but using the Printer Assistant software I am still able to scan. Can I use cheap replacement cartridges that I can get from ebay or similar? The original HP ones seem comparatively expensive.

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation